Friday, May 9, 2014

100th MOTHER'S DAY

On May 8th, 1914, President Woodrow Wilson signed a resolution designating the second Sunday in May as Mother's Day in the United States.  This Sunday marks 100 years that Americans have been honouring their mothers on this specific day in May!

You know me by now - I, of course, googled Mother's Day history around the world.

Here's what I found interesting:


Celebrations of mothers and motherhood can be traced back to the ancient Greeks and Romans, who held festivals in honor of the mother goddesses Rhea and Cybele, but the clearest modern precedent for Mother’s Day is the early Christian festival known as “Mothering Sunday.” Once a major tradition in the United Kingdom and parts of Europe, this celebration fell on the fourth Sunday in Lent and was originally seen as a time when the faithful would return to their “mother church”—the main church in the vicinity of their home—for a special service. Over time the Mothering Sunday tradition shifted into a more secular holiday, and children would present their mothers with flowers and other tokens of appreciation. This custom eventually faded in popularity before merging with the American Mother’s Day in the 1930s and 1940s.
This is from www.history.com - This is a fantastic website!  I use it all the time and also send my kids here for any projects!

I'm treating my mom to an early brunch!  I searched all the menus at the local restaurants and settled on the one that serves a crab cake benedict!!! 


CRAB CAKE BENEDICT
Poached Egg, Hubbell & Hudson Crab Cake, Spinach, Lemon Rosemary Beurre Blanc  

YUM! Can't wait to try that!  I'll take a picture for the blog!  If I was in Singapaore, we would be going to TWG Tea Salon in ION Orchard!. I'm not exactly sure what the kids are going to do for me.  I gave them some suggestions, but we'll see. . . . .

For some people Mother's day is a tough day!  Some women can't have children, some have very topsy-turvy relationships with their moms, still others have lost their moms.

No matter your circumstance - remember that GOD LOVES YOU!  Take the time to honour and cherish the people around you that are special whether they are a mom or not - 

SPREAD THE LOVE!

1 comment: