Wednesday, May 14, 2014

It's curtains for me!

Curtains, drapes, shades, shutters, blinds - they are all window treatments!

They are the bane of my existence at the present moment!

As an expat, I didn't have to worry too much with window treatments.  Both in Belgium and Singapore, we rented our condo and flat.  The Landlords provided window treatments as part of our lease agreement.  They were still a source of contention with the Engineer though, as the lease agreements required that the drapes be cleaned before we handed the condo back over to the landlord. Both places charged an exorbitant fee for this service.  In Belgium - I agreed with my husband that this was an unnecessary expense as we were there less than a year and I don't think it is good for drapes to be cleaned too often as they tend to shrink and become distorted with each washing.  In Singapore, we lived there for four years and the geckos, I think, hid in the folds of the drapes and left little presents!  GROSS - I know!  But remember, geckos are your friends as they eat the other critters that I'd rather not deal with!  So while I do think the drapes needed to be cleaned - I didn't agree with the cost to clean them.  $2,000 was one quote we got - I only had 5 windows with drapes! My comment was that you could buy new ones for that price!!!!!  A wonderful, expat friend gave me the name of a lady who did it for 1/3 that price.  Thank God! but it still left a bitter taste with the Engineer!

The Engineer and I have totally different views on window treatments.  I think they complete the look of a home- make it cozy.  The Engineer believes they are a complete waste of money.  They serve the function of blocking the sun and providing some privacy, but (on the spreadsheets) they don't ever add up (meaning the money they cost, you never get back)!

The one thing we agree about window treatments is they are ridiculously expensive!

We bought a new home (never been lived in before)!  The new trend is to have very large windows.  I love the natural light and the openness these windows create!  However, I think the builders are in cahoots with the window companies and the window treatment companies.  There is not a single, standard size window in this new house of mine.  Guess what that means?

Every window requires a custom window treatment!!!!!  This just adds more expense!  I can't just order them out of a catalog!
Luckily, most of the windows are a normal width (meaning they are within the width of a normal bolt of fabric).  Unfortunately, the kitchen window - the one everyone sees and I look at everyday as the computer sits right in front of it - is 6" wider than a bolt of fabric.  This is a problem because I can't sew! SOOOO - If I want window coverings to complete the look of the room, I have to be crafty!  I am so NOT crafty when it comes to things on a large scale!  Scrapbooks, school projects, cooking - those things I can do.  I can do a staple gun and a glue gun with relative ease, but sewing - NO!

In typical Engineer style, my husband said that if I wanted drapes I had to "go figure out" how to do them in the most inexpensive way possible!  

Glue gun here I come!

My solutions were quite satisfactory to me.  I love the website www.thenester.com
She says, "it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful".  She also says, "People don't have to know you used a glue gun - They just see the finished product"
AMEN - sister!

My solutions usually involve a cornice board (staple gun) or a pole with fabric to wrap around.



See this is how I dealt with my Master bedroom.  I found a website that sold custom roman shades for a reasonable price.  Then, found fabric at a discount fabric store and just folded and hung swags of material between the windows.  I couldn't use a pole as these are set of bay windows and each is at a slight angle to the others (there are two more windows).  It isn't perfect, I know, I still have to make adjustments, but how many people are going to go into my Master Bedroom and scrutinise my curtains.



Now the big problem is my kitchen window.  




Everybody who comes into the house will see this window.  I sit in front of this window everyday!  I am right now! A cornice board is how I usually handle these windows.  The kitchen window over the sink is no problem as it isn't wider than a bolt of fabric - You just staple the fabric to the board and hot glue the fringe and you are good to go.  This is great, if you choose a solid fabric with no pattern.  So now, because I chose this lovely fabric, I have to match the pattern for the other window. PROBLEM - I can't sew!  The Engineer has instructed me to "figure it out".  That is what I have been working on all week.




The Engineer believes he can sew and doesn't see why I don't think I can.  (He's also a perfectionist, so where as I can often get away with good enough - here's an example of,  if the pattern is off - he will notice and it will constantly bother him!)

The blue tape in the picture above is an example of his pattern and his attempt to help me figure it out on my own.  I've called in my mom because once upon a time she did sew - before arthritis set in.  She also has a sewing machine and is willing to guide me through the basics, but I'm concerned.  I've been watching a lot of YouTube teaching videos, but I'm not quite getting it.

I will update y'all on my progress - hopefully it will get done soon.

Just plan for the cost of window treatments upon repatriation!  

It doesn't help if we chose a pre-existing house - maybe it would a little - but in ALL my moves - the previous owner's taste in window treatments did NOT match mine - yet, another reason the Engineer thinks it is a waste of money.  They aren't like furniture - you can't take them with you - why? - because nothing is standard anymore and it won't fit into your new house!!!!!


HAPPY DECORATING!

1 comment: