Monday, May 5, 2014

WEEKEND STUFF

We had a busy weekend full of the "stuff" of Suburbia!

WittyGirl had a volleyball game.  Her team won!!!! Always makes for a good day.
We went to a book signing for this Legendary Local Author and then we had to make the rounds of Walmart, Lowe's and Home Depot so I could "Love the House I am in RIght Now!"
The kids were NOT excited to make the rounds, but I now have curtains actually hung in my Master Bedroom and my Breakfast room chairs are recovered! Yea!

Saturday was the "Run for the Roses" also known as the Kentucky Derby.  I LOVE the Derby  - always have!  When the Engineer was at University, we lived hours (a doable drive) from Kentucky!  My girlfriend and I were all set and ready to go, but that day the Engineer had his Professional Engineering Exam and  - He couldn't miss that - go figure!
Since then, I usually make a special supper and we watch the running of the derby.  I was going to have a party this year complete with a "Best Hat competition" and this very cute Teapot cake!  However, the Engineer once again thwarted my plans - we had to have dinner with his boss - planned long time ago. Next year - I'm going to have an AWESOME Derby party!

Sunday was May the Fourth!  STAR WARS fans greet each other with - May the force be with you! Yes - it is a little nerdy, but TechSavvySon & I are big Star Wars fans.  So much so that TSS made supper last night and here's what we had:




Always fun!



So today is Cinco de Mayo!  Like our Fourth of July, but celebrates Mexico's independence!  Not a big deal in most of the USA, but in Texas, which borders Mexico and has a large hispanic population - it is a big deal.  I've heard that schools in San Antonio get today off.  Wow!  If you live in Louisiana, you get Mardi Gras off!  So there are regional holidays.  We, of course, are having some kind of Mexican food tonight for supper.  I may even get festive and decorate the table - depends on how much I get done today.

Anyway - MoustacheMan is probably wondering what this post has to do with repatriation.

I've said before that in Singapore all the 5 major world religions are represented so the kids would get these random to us days off of school like Vesak Day - never heard of this before we moved over there.  Thaipuisim  - that is another unusual day - (That is one worth googling, if you don't know about it).

I'm going to attempt to get y'all out of your shells and commenting on the BLOG itself instead of emailing me, but I definitely understand privacy issues and if you want to remain anonymous - that's okay!

However, I'd like the brave among you to share (on the blog) your favourite event or holiday to celebrate that aren't the normal ones, Like the Kentucky Derby or Hug your neighbour Day and what you do or did in the past to celebrate.

1 comment: