Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Din Tai Fung & Chick fil A

There are things as an Expat you miss thoroughly from your home country!

Free parking
Target
Paper plates for cookouts . . .

Mostly, it has to do with food!

In Singapore, I missed good Mexican food!  As a matter of fact, I planned that as soon as we got out of the airport, each trip back to the States, we would stop at the nearest Lupe Tortilla restaurant. (This plan only works if your port of entry is in Texas!)

For my children - the place is Chick fil A.  While I'm pretty sure you can find a McDonald's on most continents - Chick fil A is only to be found in the USA!  Sadly, not even, every state in the USA!  My BFF, just recently took an "expat assignment" to Minnesota - They DONT have Chick fil A! 
Incidentally, One of the selling points for our kids living out here on the edge of Suburbia was that we have a Chick fil A within 5 miles - matter of fact, it is right in front of Target!
Now that I have a tween and a teenager, Chick fil A doesn't quite have the same appeal as it did when they were in elementary school.  However, I am starting to experience the  bottomless pit stomachs of growing teenagers!

THAT brings us to the flip side.

When you repatriate, there are things you desperately miss about your expat country!

I miss walking everywhere.
The Botanical Gardens

But again, it mostly is about food!

In Belgium, there are bakeries, chocolatiers, and tea rooms within walking distance of your home.  I will say it again - Belgians make the most delicious food on earth! - - AND, sadly, even if you follow the recipe exactly, it doesn't taste the same outside of Belgium! 

In Singapore, there are thousands of restaurants! Two, I miss, dearly!


Din Tai Fung and TWG Tea Salon


For those of you who don't know, Din Tai Fung is a restaurant that I believe was started in Taiwan.  There were several branches within my regular walking route.  They serve steamed dumplings that were hand stuffed and folded just per your order -- OH and don't forget you can get this really delicious appetiser in chile sauce -- YUUUUMMMM!!!!!
My mouth is watering right now and there is NOT A DIN TAI FUNG IN TEXAS!!!! - Something to consider if you have to repatriate to the edge of Suburbia!  I have heard that they DO have Din Tai Fung in California.  My hope is, it isn't like the Belgian experience and it tastes the same even though we are outside of Taiwan, or Singapore!

Even more than Din Tai Fung, I MISS TWG Tea Salons!

I'm going to have to make a post just on my love of TWG to do it justice!

There is no place like it in Texas or the USA that I have seen for that matter.  Now, Belgium and Europe they GET the idea of what a tea salon is supposed to be.  This is the one place where America has let me down!  I tried VERY hard to convince the owners of TWG to open one in Houston - They didn't listen to me. I'm heartbroken as their most excellent patron!

I am VERY hungry now as I'm typing this post.
I'm a little disturbed that I have to drive 5 miles to get to the closest food options!

Anyway, my kids will tell you they miss Mr. Prata the most.  Good prata is only made by the guys in the Hawker Centers or at Mr. Prata and every Wednesday for lunch in the American School cafeteria.

SO you expats enjoy your favourite restaurants in your assignment country because one day you will repatriate and 

I think I may have Mexican food for lunch!

No comments:

Post a Comment