Monday, April 21, 2014

EASTER EGG-POCKING

One of the joys of repatriation is being able to enjoy the different holidays as you know them.

EASTER - is special to me.  Not only is it the core of my Christian faith, it is a fun holiday in the CLAN and in my childhood memories.

We tried very hard to make Easter special in Singapore.  They don't have the same candy there as we do in the States.  They don't really have white eggs (they would bring some in around Easter for the crazy Americans willing to spend an exorbitant amount of money) so no egg-dying. Food is expensive - a spiral cut ham  or whole leg of lamb  - way too much!

I recall an Australian woman, in line in front of me at the market, debating whether or not the rhubarb she was getting for the special dish she was going to make for the holiday was worth the price.  She went back and forth three times and ultimately decided against it!  I was sad for her because I have had that struggle several times over there.

When you are an expat, you also learn what is important to your kids and sometimes they surprise you!

My kids, they missed Egg-pocking!

Now for those of you who don't know (I didn't before I married the Engineer),  Egg-pocking is a South Louisiana tradition.  Apparently, different families have different ways of conducting the Egg-pocking event.  I will be sharing the CLAN's version as that is all I know.  (I don't think there are official rules because there seems to always be a little bickering going on especially if your egg loses!) Incidentally, you can find YouTube videos or  search Google - Egg-pocking and find out about how other families do this.

Anyway this is what I can tell you about Egg-pocking.  Each person chooses their own egg.  You either dye it or decorate it.  I didn't have my act together to dye the eggs, but the kids preferred decorating their own anyway.





 This is mine
This is the Engineer's



Now for the "pocking"  - Your egg faces off with an opponent.  





You tap the eggs together and the one that gets "pocked" loses.




The winner faces off with another egg and it goes on until the victor takes all. (I have never known the CLAN to actually give a prize to the victor, you just get lots of bragging rights to being the victor)

 Some claim there is an art to obtaining the victorious egg. You have to hold it the right way, use one side or the other.  I have heard of cheaters Freezing their eggs beforehand.  And then there are the pranksters who sabotage the competition by using a raw egg!  MoustacheMan and GG had never been with the CLAN before on Easter and had thus never heard of "Egg-pocking".  Didn't hurt their chances as MM won this year's pocking event .


Hope y'all had a fantastic EASTER!

1 comment:

  1. Tsk, tsk! "Some claim their is an art ..."

    I would have eaten the victory egg, but I was too full of lamb and carrot soufflé.

    MM

    ReplyDelete