Wednesday, April 9, 2014

IN LIMBO ON HOLD

We have reached the six month mark of living in our new home out here on the edge of suburbia!

Some days I feel as if we left Singapore eons ago, other days it was just yesterday.  Isn't that how life is . . . 

Yesterday, it seems I was sitting TechSavvySon in front of the TV to watch Thomas the Tank Engine, but today, because of Teenage Boy Brain Syndrome he had to run, I mean R U N for the bus!

I remember this feeling in Singapore around the six - eight month mark.  This feeling of having one foot in each place, but not really belonging anywhere  - I'm calling it "In Limbo on hold"!


*in limbo
1. Lit. a region of the afterlife on the border of hell. (In some Christian religions, there is a limbo set aside for souls that do not go to either heaven or hell. This sense is used only in this religious context. *Typically: be ~; remain ~; stay ~.) The baby's soul was in limbo because she had not been baptized.
2. Fig. in a state of neglect; in a state of oblivion; in an indefinite state; on hold. (*Typically: be ~; leave something ~; put something ~.) We'll have to leave the project in limbo for a month or two. After I got hit on the head, I was in limbo for about ten minutes.
McGraw-Hill Dictionary of American Idioms and Phrasal Verbs. © 2002 by The McGraw-Hill Companies, Inc.







Like a good researcher and because I know my dad will ask, I looked up the definition of IN LIMBO.

I REALLY DID laugh out loud at definition #1.

There were/are days in expat or repatriated life that do feel like living on the border of hell (see earlier post on Container loading day)

I remember trying to define the feeling in Singapore.  One of my expat friends described it as "going nowhere while everything else is flying past".

I think the feeling is easier to deal with as an expat since you are surrounded most likely, by other expats experiencing the same thing.

Out here on the edge of Suburbia, they don't have time, patience or understanding for you to get a grasp on your feelings and insecurities and expect you to deal with it promptly and move on . . .

For some reason, this week in particular, I have missed my Singapore expat friends.
I think it has to do with this IN LIMBO feeling that creeps in around the six month mark.

I need a repatriated neighbour out here on the edge of Suburbia!!!!

I regularly read the Pioneer Woman's blog.

My husband LOVES her recipes because she makes "MANLY" meals! -  - She makes girly meals too, but she wakes up before dawn and cooks a huge breakfast for hungry cowboys using LOTS OF BUTTER - The Engineer's favourite meal and one of his favourite ingredients!

Anyway, a couple of days ago she posted a quote I had never heard, but immediately fell in love with.


A smile is a curve that sets everything straight
Phyllis Diller

This is my new theme quote for the week and has gotten me out of my IN LIMBO ON HOLD funk!


SO SMILE

and set things straight!


No comments:

Post a Comment