Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Storage, Containers & Garage Sales

One of the things expat women anticipate upon repatriation is the opening of one's home storage container.

Some boxes you open with joy as you discover a treasured item that you forgot you had or that was supposed to go in the overseas shipment with you and has been greatly missed for the last 5 years!

Then there are the boxes you open and you think . . .

Where did this come from?
Is this ours? - Surely our container got mixed up with someone else's!

And so it goes . . . . .

After what seems like twenty weeks of unpacking (really it was only two) your sea shipment and storage . . .
You begin to assess what fits and works in this new place you now live in.

How am I ever going to decorate this new home in European, Asian and American treasures????

In 21 years of marriage, the Engineer Extraordinaire and I have moved 10 times!
I would love to say this makes us pros at moving, but NO! Far from it!

For the record, let me state:

I LOVE my husband dearly!  He is a truly extraordinary man and I am incredibly blessed to have married him!

However, nothing tests our marriage more than "moving out day" - (the day you actually load the boxes on the container and clean before the handover) and  "Garage Sale day"!

I nicknamed my husband, Engineer Extraordinaire, for this blog.  He is a brilliant man! I am continually amazed by all of his skills.  It seems he can fix anything, build anything, solve any problem.  He understands the physical relationship of things to one another, how things work. He excels at everything hunting, fishing , any sport. (Except, maybe how socks actually go into the hamper!)  He is practical and frugal (that's the nice word for it).  I adore him and appreciate all that he does!
God brought us together and we balance each other out, the engineer & social scientist!

All this love, affection and adoration gets TRULY TESTED on Garage Sale Day.

AGAIN, for the record:

I do not mind Garage Sales.  I see them as opportunities to get rid of the stuff that is no longer useful or treasured and give them to another home that will find these items useful.  Whenever you move to a new place there are items that just don't fit! (15 year old couches that should never have left Singapore) - For example!
My practical, frugal husband LOVES garage sales.  He loves the bargain and the challenge of seeing how cheaply he can acquire something.
The problem occurs when we get more "stuff" coming in, than going out.
My normally practical husband forgets that  - - Yes,that is  a very cheap price you've bargained for those pillows, but we don't need them AND THEY DON'T MATCH OUR STUFF!!!!!

You would think the Engineer Extraordinaire was born in the Great Depression as he can't let go of "stuff" easily. - We might need it!  So the flip side of the Garage Sale is he doesn't want me to get rid of anything.

I get so tense because the "stuff" overwhelms me.  I just want a clean, neat house, without mismatched furniture and "stuff" coming down around me. Is this too much to ask?

Anyway - I know others don't have these problems and in the grand scheme of things this isn't that bad, but I DREAD these days!

I just pray that God will keep the Company from moving us anytime soon so I can avoid loading day and Garage Sale day for a few years.

HAVE FUN OPENING YOUR BOXES!


No comments:

Post a Comment