Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Stop waiting for the next house

In my never-ending procrastination of doing housework, I was browsing through blogs this morning and came across this blog - www.thenester.com

As I skimmed through the blog, I came across a post that said "Stop waiting for the next house".  It struck such a chord in me that I had to share this with y'all!  The years I was in Singapore I never truly felt like our condo was a home.  I knew it was temporary and that we would be moving on soon . . . 18 months or so . . .
I never decorated the condo to make it our own.  True, we were renting the property, but I had the mind set of why waste any money when we won't be keeping it.  (I'm also married to the FRUGAL Engineer Extraordinaire - which means all purchases must have a purpose).  It did buy a few items to bring back to the USA, but even that was limited as I didn't know where we would be living in the USA and if it would fit or match the house.  Most expats have more than one assignment abroad - companies know that if you are willing to uproot your family once you'd be willing to do it again!  

I've mentioned before that the Engineer & I have moved 10 times in 21 years of marriage.  There is very little permanence to our homes.  We hope to be in this new home out here on the edge of suburbia for a while - meaning longer than 18 months!
Anyway -  I loved that this blog site said it doesn't have to be perfect to be beautiful.  She encourages you to reflect who you are and your family and all its imperfections in your decorating style.

What a relief!

I am a very simple, practical girl! I often feel I'm surrounded by all these creative women who can whip out curtains and bedspreads and have their furniture laid out just so and all their homes could be on the cover of Interior Designs.  It is a little intimidating!  It is sometimes just easier to say I'll wait for the next house.

I had a friend who moved quite often.  She said to me one day that "this was not her dying house" - meaning this isn't her last home.  On reflection however, she doesn't know that! It is easy to think of all the things that will go into our retirement homes, but no one knows what life will bring and we need to make the place we are living now, a home.

I've actually started decorating this house!  I'm trying to blend European, Asian and American items into one cohesive and pleasant atmosphere.  I'm not sure if I'm doing it right, but I am pleased with the results.  The Nester gave me the freedom to let go.  I'm going to enjoy this house and love it in all its imperfections for as long as we live in it.

Enjoy your home and make it your own!

1 comment:

  1. What insight can you share to make your place of residence a home?

    ReplyDelete