Friday, April 11, 2014

Time is of the essence

Time . . .

There never seems to be enough of it!

I know that God gives each person the same 24 hours in a day whether you are the President of the U.S. , CEO of a world company, or a repatriated housewife!  Whether you live in New York City, Bali or on the Isle of Skye, it is the same amount of time.

Since repatriating this past summer, I feel as if I have NO TIME!

I get up at 5:30am on a regular basis now. (Mind you, this is the earliest I ever have on a consistent basis in my entire life - the time TSS was an infant doesn't count because I never slept those years)

In Singapore, I got up at 6:30am because I had to put the kids on the bus to the American School at ungodly time of 7:07 - my poor babies! - Now TSS has to catch the bus at 6:15am.  My poor baby!

You'd think since I start my day a whole hour earlier that I'd get more accomplished.  Sadly, this isn't the case!

I'm trying to figure out why this is? ? ? ? ?

As an expat, I had time for morning quiet time, exercise, tea/lunch with friends, general management of the household, extracurricular activities of the kids, grocery shopping, planning trips, guiding at the museum, playing tourist around Singapore and Supper on the table when the Engineer walked in from work! And that was a typical day for me.

I remember thinking that life in the big city of Singapore moved pretty fast.  However, out here on the edge of Suburbia, I'm barely managing the household with grace, getting the kids to their activities and Supper on the table for the Engineer when he walks in!

The house is much bigger than our condo.  I do have to drive a farther distance out here on the edge to get anywhere (kids to practice, grocery store, etc.), but I don't understand how that can eat up that much more time - It doesn't make sense!

It could be a time management thing.  However, I consider myself an organised person - (remember the YLP and list making).  If it was time management, I doubt I would have gotten things accomplished in Singapore.

SO WHAT IS IT?

Today, I feel like blaming the American Suburban lifestyle for my lack of time.   I thought about blaming Daylight savings since they don't do that in Singapore, but savings implies more time and that isn't right!

Anyway - my quest this weekend is to figure it out, get organised, get back on track - FIND THE TIME.

No comments:

Post a Comment