Monday, April 28, 2014

Driving - which side am I supposed to be on?

The whole driving experience in Singapore took some getting used to for me.

I am an American and we drive on the right side of the road - not just the correct side of the road, but the actual right side of the road! - Ha Ha - just joking, but NO seriously it is the right side of the road.
For the record, Belgium and the rest of Europe drives on the right side also.  I think it is just the United Kingdom and British commonwealth countries or former colonies that drive on the other side. Don't know about South America or Africa as I have never been there, but I'm going to assume the same applies.
Anyway - It isn't too hard to get used to driving on the other side.  The hard part comes when you travel back and forth between the two styles often.
Then, one has to THINK - Okay what country am I in????!!!!!

Handy tip for those of you still traveling back & forth: I had an expat friend who said to always remember that the driver should be next to the center line. (Of course this only works if there is a center line and then again, if you are NOT driving on the Isle of Skye where the road is only one lane for both directions!!!  - - Then again, You have to be driving the correct car,also)

The Engineer Extraordinaire & I had a little game with this back&forth thing.  The first person to hit the windshield wipers instead of the turn signal owed the other a special treat - and if it was multiple times on the same trip one got bonus treats! I confess the Engineer usually won, but I attribute that to him being an engineer and his expertise with machinery - It has nothing to do with skill!

The hard part about driving in Singapore was the actual driving test.  Even though it was written in English - It was not the English of a native English speaker!!!!!  Anyway, I passed the test and was permitted to drive in Singapore.  Although, it did say that "if I suffer from bouts of giddiness that I shouldn't drive". - - -Truth be told - - - that was on my test!

If WittyGirl is in the car with me - we usually suffer many "bouts of giddiness", but they didn't need to know that.  I'm not sure why I went through the hassle of getting a license in Singapore as I hardly ever got the car to even drive anywhere.  I walked most places, used the MRT and taxis!  MM will say it "Built Character" - I supposed it did!

Upon repatriation, I had to get a new Texas Driver's license because mine had expired in the years I was an expat.  I dragged my feet about getting it renewed as I was dreading having to take a driving test again!  The Texas driving test is not nearly as gruelling as the Singapore test. Grace was upon me because you have up to two years  (in Texas, if you previously had a Texas license) to renew your license without consequences.  I was two months shy of the 2 year deadline.  This all took place this past summer before I had a house or address or car for that matter.  My parents actually drove me to the Dept. of Transportation to get an new license. They walk inside and waited until I had finished all the paperwork.  I felt like a 16 year old again.   Anyway - All went well and I got my new license (the picture of the woman on my license can't be me - she looks way older than the last picture!).

I'm not sure why but the ability to drive gives you a sense of freedom and empowerment!  I think it has to do with choice.  I don't have to plan my day around a bus schedule or worry whether the taxi I ordered will actually arrive on time.  I just get in the car and go.  It is a good thing to have a valid license.  Out here on the edge of Suburbia, you have to drive everywhere!  Nothing is close - the first store of any kind is at least 5 miles away.  I have to count my blessing though, I could be like the Pioneer Woman and have to drive 5 miles just to get off my property!




HAPPY DRIVING!

1 comment:

  1. Do you have any ways to help remember which side of the road to be on?

    ReplyDelete